Saturday, May 04, 2013

Children and Religious Choice


Watch this video before reading... it is only a minute...

Andy, why do you pester people about their religion?  If it gives them peace, why do you care?

I get this question rather frequently... and I ask it of myself rather regularly.  Why do I care?  Is this just the need to be right wrapped in a different ideology?

If religion were just a pleasant set of dictums encouraging folks to be nice to each other, and giving peace about meeting loved ones after death.... well, there probably wouldn't be much to harp on.

However, religion is rarely so simple and innocent.  See the kid above? That could be a video of me. I remember feeling that same pressure around that age.
Andrew, if you have the opportunity to share the Gospel with someone and fail to, and they die tonight, their soul will be held to your account!
I did not go to Westboro. Mine was a fairly typical conservative evangelical church - of the kind that dominates the religious discussion and politics in America. Even as I got older and my faith became more liberal and I went to (seemingly) more liberal churches; I found the pressure in those churches for kids to evangelize their peers was strong.

I am sure the parents, and church, of this boy would say that he has made a commendable choice to follow the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I would argue that choice had nothing to do with it. In order to make a choice, you must have an unbiased education in all options. He has been completely brainwashed and never had any options in the matter. In truth, he is utterly defenseless before his family and religious community.

He never had a prayer....

5 comments:

Mae said...

Ah, yes, I remember the endless entreaties to "witness to a lost and dying world." And I don't miss it one bit! One of my friends invited me to her church, and I gently told her that I don't really go anymore and I actually got kicked out of a church. She (a really sweet lady)said, "You poor thing!" I told her not to feel sorry for me, it was the best thing that ever happened to me...:)

Michelle said...

So sad, so familiar. Maybe he'll get out like us.

Jon said...

I believe that is a John Piper sermon.

Alice said...

What gets me about these types of things is that we are somehow responsible for something God cannot or will not do.


irreverance said...

That's extremely sad. I actually consider it a form of emotional abuse to put children (or even adults) through the torment of feeling they may be responsible if their friends go to hell.

Related Posts with Thumbnails