Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Quotes from articles I read this week #2







Bruce Droppings


Postmodern folks tend to be more skeptical of institutions. They often operate with a hermeneutic of suspicion (a belief that "truth" claims are not as much "true" as they are beneficial for those who benefit from the status quo. For example 150 years ago many Southern churches interpreted the Bible to mean that owning African slaves is OK. Today we wonder how that is possible. This is what Upton Sinclair was getting at when he said, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon him not understanding it." People bend the "truth" to their own ends). Michael's Blog

What I don’t get is why so often those who claim most loudly to be on the inside track of the deeper christian life are also the ones most likely to be considered asses by everyone else. Kingdom Grace

I want to seek truth, but not condemn someone for being unsure. I’m going to love people just to love them, not to convert them, because God is powerful enough to do that by Himself. Scripture is the main authority I consult, but two people can read the same thing and hear different things. It doesn’t have to mean one doesn’t believe what they read. Emerging Toward Something Redeeming

I consider all confessing Christians to be my brothers and sisters in Christ, but I doubt that feeling is mutual. Echos of a Voice

I did not suffer a failure of belief in God, so much as a loss of faith in those who claim to be His messenger boys. Weary of endless contradictions and conflicts, I found neither consistency nor coherency, either in our time or in history, among the multitudes of learned ones who have felt supremely confident they nailed the truth for time and eternity. Ifs of Og

1 comment:

Redlefty said...

Great stuff, thanks for expanding my reading list and giving me insight into some more terrific thinkers and writers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails