Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Pioneer Day!!

Happy what????

Pioneer Day is a Utah holiday. It celebrates the day that Mormons came to the Salt Lake Valley back in 1847.

It just so happens that it is also the day my family came to Salt Lake 4 years ago. It was great to have fireworks going off everywhere on our first night here.

My family moved from the Detroit area along with 35 other folks to start a church (K2 the Church). I actually am amazed that my wife and I made this move. We are both the non-risk-taking type. I spent my first year here perpetually asking myself, "Did we really just move across the country?"

Looking back, it was the smartest move we ever made. We LOVE living out West. No humidity, great weather, beauty everywhere. We could not ask for better neighbors. In addition, our church is planting in the southwest end of the valley, near my home, so we will soon be able to serve at a church in our local community.

It has been a good 4 years.

2 comments:

Redlefty said...

You had me at "no humidity".

Andrew said...

Yeah :) That is a funny comic.

My folks were just out here from Michigan, and they love our evenings. No matter how hot it got during the day, the evenings were always beautiful.... and no bugs. :) They had not come out in a summer yet. In MI, it never cools down in the summer. It will be dark out and still sticky and hot cause of the humidity. My folks really noticed that - which may be the final straw to get them to move out here. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails